The Zero Waste Coalition aims to bring together waste-relatedorganizations at UC Berkeley to improve communication between them, collaborate on initiatives, be a resource for zero waste on campus, and foster a zero waste community.
In 2017, the ASUC Zero Waste Student Advisory Committee was established in an effort to connect organizations working on waste-related projects at UC Berkeley. In Spring of 2019, the committee was re-established and rebranded as the Zero Waste Coalition by Nicole Haynes. Successful initiatives include:
- Our monthly Coalition meetings bring together various campus organizations and departments working on zero waste projects, bridging these groups together and fostering collaboration.
- These meetings are open to anyone with an interest in zero waste; fill out our interest form for the time and location of our next meeting!
Cal Move Out
- We organize Cooperative Reuse, an annual, city-wide furniture recycling program. In 2022, the program successfully diverted over 200,000 lbs of landfill waste and recycled nearly 800 mattresses.
Zero Waste Lab
- In the fall of 2020, we started the Zero Waste Lab, which gives undergraduate students opportunities to participate in zero waste-related research projects, with on and off campus stakeholders.
- Interested students can apply on SPUR website
Zero Waste October
- A month of educational programming aimed at engaging individuals at UC Berkeley in waste sorting and reduction efforts. *Zero Waste October was initially started by a middle school teacher and her students in Marin, CA.
- In Spring 2020, the ZWC engaged over 5,000 students and faculty members in a weeklong push for compost education.
- In Spring 2023, the ZWC engaged hundreds of students in waste-education classroom chats.
Non-Essential Single-Use Plastic Elimination Policy
- In April 2020, UC Berkeley committed to the strongest plastic ban in the country. This comprehensive target will eliminate all non-essential single-use plastic with viable alternatives by 2030.
- ZWC members are committed to finding solutions for the university to achieve this ambitious goal.