Job Title: UC President’s Student Carbon Neutrality Engagement and Communications Fellow – Berkeley Campus
The University of California recently created the President’s Carbon Neutrality Student Fellowship/Internship Program to support UC’s goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2025.
The UC Office of the President has provided funding to each of UC’s 10 campuses, as well as the Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, to fund student internship/fellowships in support of UC’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative and the President’s Global Climate Leadership Council.
This position will focus on student engagement on the UC’s Carbon Neutrality Initiative at the Berkeley campus. The fellow will report to the Sustainability Manager in the Office of Sustainability and Energy and will work closely with the Director of the Student Environmental Resource Center (SERC).
This three to six month fellowship will include an optional convening with other student fellows from across the UC system at the California Higher Education Sustainability Conference which will be held at San Francisco State University from July 20 -24, 2015.
Job Summary/Job Duties:
The Student Carbon Neutrality Engagement and Communications Fellow will work with SERC, campus sustainability office, and various staff and students to communicate about campus and UC-wide sustainability goals and programs with a specific focus on climate and to engage undergraduate and graduate students in these efforts.
At Berkeley the fellow will focus on gaining a broad understanding of student’s knowledge in climate change issues and gauging their interests in taking actions to reach neutrality. The fellow will work with several other student interns in the Office of Sustainability and Energy to reach out to various student groups to share information and create a dialogue about climate change and action. The fellow will prepare a report on the findings from this effort, illuminating current status and proposing future activities.
The fellow will also participate in the UC system-wide discussion and communication process. This process will be coordinated by the student representatives to the Global Climate Leadership Council (GCLC) and will include:
- Sharing information and experiences between Global Climate Leader Council campus fellows both at UC Berkeley and other UCs.
- Empowering UC Berkeley students to become campus leaders.
- Providing information to the Global Climate Leadership Council's Student Engagement Working Group about the progress of student engagement efforts, student feedback, and needs at UC Berkeley.
- Interact with representatives from the California State University system to share best practices.
- The fellow will contribute to the GCLC Student Blog and other student engagement communication platforms maintained by the GCLC student representatives.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Be a student currently enrolled at UC Berkeley
- Has an understanding of the impacts and issues of climate change and mitigation and adaptation strategies
- Is a self-starter who needs minimal guidance; leadership experience a plus
- Is comfortable working as part of a team
- Is comfortable reaching out to people and has some communications experience; journalism and web or graphic experience a plus
- Can commit to working at least 5 hours/week.
- Can commit to Spring 2015 (and possibly of the summer of 2015)
Pay Rate: $12.00
Reports to: Sustainability Manager, Office of Sustainability and Energy
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline February 17, 2015 at 5pm.