Happy October, Cal bicyclists!
Here's a mid-semester update on the various bike-related projects happening around the campus.
Current Bicylcle-Related Projects
Bike Parking: A near unanimous concern has been the lack of available bike parking. This month, additional bike racks will be installed along the pathway between Davis and O'Brien Halls, at Moffitt Library and at the northeast entrance to Valley Life Sciences Building. We are also working on identifying areas for future bike parking pending additional campus review and funding availability. The map below shows some of the areas we've looked at; let us know if we're missing a spot!
A full size image of the map can be viewed here.
- BicyCAL has re-opened their bicycle shop in the Cesar Chavez breezeway! Visit the bike shop M-F, 12-3pm.
When the shop is closed, visit the new FixIt station located just west of the Cal1 card office
- City of Berkeley Transportation Commission Meeting: The City of Berkeley has several very important transportation initiatives in the works and will be presenting the latest information about the following projects at the Transportation Commission Meeting Thursday, October 15th at 7pm. The meeting will be at the North Berkeley Senior Center (1901 Hearst Ave at MLK).
- Bicycle Master Plan: Come hear about the plan and give City staff feedback on how to improve your ride to campus. If you can't make it, share feedback here.
- Bike Share: Bike Committee members took representatives from Motivate Bike Share on a ride around campus in September to scope out potential bike share station locations. The plan would roll bikes onto the street starting in Summer 2016. Let city staff know your thoughts!
- Do you live, work in, or visit Downtown Berkeley? If your answer is YES, let your voice be heard and enter a drawing for a free iPad! The City of Berkeley is altering the traffic flow and sidewalks on Shattuck Avenue between University and Allston to create safer and easier travel by foot, car, bike, and bus. Let the City know what you think of the proposed changes by filling out this brief online survey.
Campus Bicycle Committee Meeting: The campus bicycle committee meets once each semester to discuss on-going activities and issues. This semester, the committee will meet on October 23rd, 10:30am, 1936 University Avenue (the Promenade Building, Conf Rm 231). For more info, contact Beth at email@example.com.
Theft Prevention and Bike Locking: Bike theft can be a big problem on campus. The UCPD bait bike program has been successful, but each of us can help too. With special thanks to Bike East Bay, BART, SF Bike Coalition and The Green Initiative Fund (TGIF), the UC Berkeley Bike Committee produced and distributed posters and fliers to educate riders about proper bike locking techniques. For more info about bike theft prevention, visit: https://bikeeastbay.org/theft. If you'd like some of the UC materials for colleagues, please contact Todd at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cool Campus Challenge:The Cool Campus Challenge has launched! Tuesday, October 6th marked the start of the 10-week competition between every UC campus, the UC Office of the President, and LBNL. Everyone — faculty, staff, and students — can participate by creating a free account at http://coolcampuschallenge.org and pledging to take easy actions to lower their carbon footprints at work and at home. Actions gain points and the campus with the most points in December wins!
Dana and Bancroft Bikeways: Dana Street and Bancroft Way provide important connections to the campus and Southside. We are looking at ways to make them safer for people on bikes, with a goal of finding a solution that can be implemented sooner, rather than later. Both streets have design challenges to address, particularly around transit. Here are some thoughts on the bikeways; let us know what you think.
Call for projects
Do you have an idea for a bike-related outreach or capital project to improve the bicycling environment and to encourage more people to ride? Many of the projects included in the 2006 campus bike plan have already been addressed. You can help us generate new plans that might inform future projects. Contact Todd Henry (email@example.com) for more information.
October 15, 7pm: Berkeley Transportation Commission; Bicycle Master Plan, Shattuck Avenue Plan, Bike Share Presentations; North Berkeley Senior Center, 1901 Hearst Avenue (at MLK)
October 17, 10am-1pm: Adult Learn-to-Ride Class - Berkeley, Berkeley High School parking lot, Milvia Street & Bancroft Way, Berkeley. Pre-registration is required for this class. Rental bikes and helmets can be made available to participants who can not bring their own, at low cost. (Hosted by Bike East Bay)
October 18, 11am-4pm: Berkeley Sunday Streets -- Shattuck Avenue (between Rose and Haste)
October 23, 10:30am-12pm: UC Berkeley Bicycle Committee Semesterly Meeting, 1936 University Avenue (Promenade Building, Conf Rm 231)
November 2, 6:30-8:30pm: Urban Cycling 101 Classroom Workshop - UC Berkeley, Barrows Hall, Room 151, UC Berkeley. (Hosted by Bike East Bay and UC Berkeley)
November 10, 12:30-1:30pm: The New First and Last Mile to Transit. Location TBD (Hosted by SPUR Oakland) Getting to and from the region's transit stations has always posed a challenge. Can recent transportation innovations help solve the perennial "first and last mile" problem? Several Bay Area business and agencies are developing new models to get people to and from transit. Hear what’s in use, what’s being developed and what could be successful in the future.
November 12, 6:30-10pm: Biketopia, Bike East Bay's Annual Winter Member Party and Fundraiser. The Impact Hub, 2323 Broadway, Oakland
November (date TBD): Night Safety Bike Light Giveaway. Last fall, the Campus Bicycle Committee and volunteers - and gracious support by UCPD - handed out over 100 rear bike lights at Bowditch and Channing to promote bike safety after dark. We plan to host this event again this semester and are looking for volunteers. Contact Todd Henry (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or how you can help out!
November 16-25: Cool Campus Challenge/Sustainable Transportation Week. Contact email@example.com for more information.
December 5, 2-3pm: Shopping by Bike Class, Berkeley Main Library, 2090 Kittredge St, Berkeley (Hosted by Bike East Bay and the Berkeley Public Library)
December 7, 6:30-8:30pm: Urban Cycling 101 Classroom Workshop - UC Berkeley, Location TBD, UC Berkeley. (Hosted by Bike East Bay and UC Berkeley